Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Helmet Palava in Naija

Not been edited yet in case of grammatical errors LOL


I've been reading alot of blogs and also heard from friends that it is now compulsory to wear a helmet when you wan ride okada for Naija. I think the idea is GREAT but when it jeopardises ones health...then we have a problem NIGERIA!!!

Let's talk about head lice and all the diseases (both mental and physical)that could be transmitted by sharing these helmets now...Do the people have to carry headties/scarfs around to serve as a protection from the helmet lol.

Reading about this reminded me of my ONE AND ONLY OKADA/MOTORCYCLE experience. As an ajeborra...or watever you wanna call me - - - I CRIED. Yes, I cried!

It was a faithful day after one of my summer classes, myself and a bunch of friends decided to go chill at a friends place. She assured us that her driver will be around to take us home. Oya, na so we jump for moto...went to Mr. Biggs and then to her house...jisted...some sweet jist that I can still recall LOL...hmmm secondary skul days...chilled with some of the neighbors...I remember one was tryna toast me...lol...

anyways...we basically lost track of time because before we realised it, it was 8 O'clock and driver left at 7p :'-(. Ewooooooo, weytin go happen??? Her house was in Barnawa, mine was in Malali (about 30-45 minutes away). My mom/ pops will have had my head if I called them saying "I need a ride."

Na who send me oooo. The other girls were like...tor, we need to hail bus...I'm like OMG, I can't believe this is happening LOL...the bus was alright...Time to mount BIKE...my friends had to get one for me, made sure I was secure...and waved bye bye to me. I looked back at them like I would never see them again.

I held the railings of the bike behind me sooo tight because I was NOT about to hold on to the dude!!! I shed a few tears at the beginning then snapped out of it and enjoyed the breeze ( My brother was an okada rider and used to jist us how exhilarating it was)...so I decided to embrace it LOL

I asked him to drop me about 5 blocks from my house so the mai guard (gate keeper)did not see me (major amebo/snitch). What an experience it was...I went to school the next day and told my friends lol...one was so proud of me, he gave me money - too funny!!!

3 comments:

  1. Okada!! Growing up we used to call it "full blast AC". If you're sweating and need to dry off quickly.. you hail a bike..
    Heard about the compulsory helmet thing as well.. Problem is people can't walk around with their individual helmets..
    Something's gotta give!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture, omg!!! I am not mad at a brother for valuing himself. He is protected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ RocNaija
    We call them "achaba" in the north lol...
    LOL at "full blast AC"...thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it :-)

    @Lady A - Yes o, he is protected! I stole the pic from someone's blog lol, thought it was funny :-)

    ReplyDelete