Monday, February 2, 2009

Using Your Gifts Part 1

From Michelle McKinney Hammond's book
"The Sassy Girls Checklist"

Proverbs 31:17-18: She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night



I have said countless times: Attitude is everything. What does that mean when it comes to the way we approach our work? It's simple. If we love what we are doing, we will do it in excellence. If we don't, we will not put forth the effort to be and to do our best. I've been guilty of this myself. I confess that when I no longer liked my job it manifested in ways that were not profitable to the company I worked for or myself. For instance I was constantly late. Why? Because I wasn't looking forward to being there. Every distraction was a welcome one when I was getting ready in the morning. My service was poor because I didn't care; I didn't care about the customer or my boss or the company I worked for. And believe me, my attitude showed. It showed so much that I was eventually fired!!! My lack of interest led me to not paying attention and missing important details that eventually landed me in a heap of trouble when I botched a project badly. It ended up coating our client a lot of money to redo it properly. The fallout was embarrassing.

Not only was my job affected , my physical well being as well. to counter y boredom during the day I got caught up in a cycle of distractions after work that went late into the night. So you know what happened right? I was too tired to get up the next morning to go to work. I suffered from fatigue on top of my boredom and bad attitude. Well after awhile not only did my work suffer, my health did too. one feeds the other. bad health and poor focus equals even worse attitude and sloppy work. Get the picture?

If truly we are doing our work as unto the Lord, we prepare ourselves to be excellent everyday by taking care of ourselves physically and emotionally. be honest with yourself. Should you be doing the work you are doing or should you find something that your gifts complement and you personally enjoy? Then make sure you get the rest and exercise you need, along with a proper diet, so that you function at peak performance. It's not about how you feel and look at work. Remember that you represent God. And for that reason alone you should always put your best foot...as well as your best work...forward.

This was a really interesting read for me. It seemed like she was talking about my life...I pray that God gives us courage to take a BOLD step in the direction of our dreams in line with the talent He has given us, be it sewing, painting, writing, designing,etc...

Questions for you

  • How do you apply yourself to your work? Are you up to your tasks?
  • What is your attitude towards customer service?
  • What elements contribute to you being physically exhausted? How does exhaustion affect your work?How do you operate when you are at your physical peak?
  • If you were an employer, what would you want and expect from your workers?Are you delivering what you would want?
  • What do you need to do to be a worker who brings honor to God and blessings t others?

My reflection - Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap > Galatians 6:7

I need to get my act right at work and stop surfing the web too much lol...because I don't want my future workers to be slacking off like this...it'll be ugly...time to repent and change your ways SM...God help me and you reading this at work!!! lol

4 comments:

  1. Wow you really are my time of Blog! :) another fave post of mine, keep doing it girl. You like M.M.H too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hon :-).Yes girl...real talk!!! Hope you are feeling alot better now...Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. this is really something to make me sit up and stop slacking.
    There is the famous quote by zig ziglag which says "it's not your aptitude but your attitude that determines your altitude!".

    Attitude is really everything and I guess if we have an I-don't-care- attitude towards men then we'll behave in the same way towards God.

    stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen...very nicely summarized :-). Hope you are doing good!

    ReplyDelete